AZ Cannabis Legalization Initiative To be Filed Thursday Feb 16 2017
A grass roots cannabis legalization activist political action committee known as Safer Arizona 2018 is filing and initiative to bring total cannabis legalization to adults 21 and over in Arizona this Thursday at 2:00PM at the Arizona Capitol 1700 W Washington St. This initiative is not the incremental regulation running in parallel with prohibition like prop 205 was but instead this will obliterate prohibition and regulate cannabis closer to tobacco and corn rather than alcohol. The group has over 300 volunteers ready to accept petitions and the resources to print about 60,000 signatures of the 150,000 signatures the need by July to get on the 2018 election ballot.
Here is a brief overview of what the Safer Arizona Cannabis Legalization Act will do.
- Repeal cannabis prohibition entirely removing all criminal penalties.
- Legalizes the possession, use, consumption, and transportation for cannabis for adults 21 and older.
- Replaces all remaining cannabis offense violations with fines.
- Allows 48 plants of home cultivation before being required to obtain a Transaction Privilege Tax License and being subject to agricultural regulations.
- Creates a free market system in which licensed businesses will resell cannabis and cannabis products.
- Establishes a sales tax on retail cannabis sales, from which the revenue will be allocated to education.
- Places cannabis under the Department of Agriculture.
- Prevents the state from re implementing cannabis prohibition and conspiring with other governments to enforce cannabis prohibition laws.
- Provides post conviction relief for prior cannabis offense violations.
- Provides protection for firearm owners.
- Provides protection for parental custody rights.
Once the initiative is filed the Safer Arizona board will be contacting all the volunteers that have signed up, start printing petitions, distribute training videos, and start collecting signatures.
The group will have about 16 months (July 1 2018) to collect 152,000 valid signatures from registered Arizona registered voters. Once they make the ballot Arizona voters will be able to vote on cannabis legalization during the 2018 election.
With just 2 days before filing the initiative the group is asking the community to look it over for a final cosmetic proof reading.
Please make a campaign contribution and sign up as a volunteer here at SaferArizona.com
Additionally. The weekly Safer Arizona meetings have been moved to Cheba Hut on the patio Sundays at 4:00 PM in Mesa 1710 W Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ 85202.
623 200 7722